West Point & Battle of Ellis Bridge, Mississippi Page3
Photos/text this page courtesy of  Steven Hippensteel, AL
Please contact Webmaster for use of these photos

CivilWarAlbum.com Home
CivilWarAlbum.com Photo Index

West Point & Ellis Bridge Page1    2    3    4    5    6    7   8   Next


(9-2012) Enlarge Waverly Landing:

At or very close to this location was a wartime ferry service that provided an access point across the Tennessee - Tombigbee River between Columbus and West Point, Mississippi. This access point is located at the end of the Wavery Plantation road just a few paces from the plantation

Enlarged Views-Select Back Button to Return

Enlarge Waverly Plantation (ca. 1852) 1909:

This is one of the earliest known photographs of Waverly Plantation taken in 1909. Designed in 1840 and completed in 1852 for Colonel George Hampton Young, Waverly Plantation was fully self-sustainable and included a brick kiln, sawmill, tannery, gristmill, bathhouse, ice house, stables, as well as gardens and orchards. The plantation's cash crop was cotton which was produced in massive quantities


Enlarge Waverly Mansion June 11, 1936:

This is a HABS photo that documents historic American buildings. A view of Old Waverly Plantation and the Plantation Office that was next to the mansion. The Young family lived in the house until 1913 when Colonel Young's last surviving son and heir passed away. After his death the plantation fell into disrepair and the mansion was boarded-up, neglected and overgrown by the elements

Enlarge View of Stair Hall Looking Northeast - June 11, 1936:

Another HABS photograph showing the first floor front door entrance, parlor and double winding staircases


Enlarge Waverly Plantation Mansion ca. 1962:

After a half century of neglect, the Snow family (current owners) heard about the Waverly Plantation and after seeing it, decided to purchase and undertake the massive effort to restore her back to her former glory. The area was so inaccessible and overgrown back in 1962 upon the Snow's first visit that they had to use the old ferry across Waverly Landing to access the grounds and buildings. The exterior of the plantation house was so overgrown it could not all be seen as a whole. Vegetation and vines were growing all over the exterior, windows were broken, some vandalism was done to the interiors, water damage was present and bats were living in the cupola with guano caked on the first floor parlor. This photo was taken by the Snow's after a major exterior clean-up of the vegetation in 1962


Enlarge South Front View - 1974:

After the Snow Family completed major restoration of Waverly Plantation in 1974, HABS took another set of photographs to document the restoration. In this view Waverly Mansion and the Plantation Office can be seen restored to it's former glory. Along with the production of the yearly cotton cash crop, Waverly also contained a hat manufacturing business as well as a silkworm farm, a general store, a leather tannery and a lumber mill. The first American made saddle blankets are believed to have been produced on these grounds as well

West Point & Ellis Bridge Page1    2    3    4    5    6    7   8   Next

Sites by State Home       Site Index