Decatur, Alabama Page11
Photos/Text courtesy of Steven Hippensteel, AL
Webmaster for any use of the following  photos

      Home     Site Index


(Wartime) Enlarge This is a view of the same block (previous photo) on Bank Street with Union soldiers in front of the buildings
Note: Enlargement has both modern and wartime views of this block on Bank Street
Enlarged Views: Hit Back Button to return

(Sept. 2010) Enlarge The Todd House dates back to the 1840's and is one of the few buildings in Decatur that survived the Civil War. Originally a two-room Georgian house, it has had several additions to the rear. The front door and side lights are original to the house. It is unknown why this house was spared during the dismantling of the town in preparation for building fortifications. Captain James M. Todd bought the house in 1857 and the house may have been spared as he may have been connected since he was a steamboat captain and may have even been Mayor of Decatur



(Sept. 2010) Enlarge Old Methodist Church (Private Residence): This former house of worship, now in it's sixth location on Canal street in downtown Decatur, is now a private residence. It's original location was west of Bank Street off Lafayette Street. Church records indicate it was built by slave labor

(Sept. 2010) Enlarge Confederate Graves Marker: This marker is located in the Decatur City Cemetery which points the way to a small fenced-in plot of ground that is the final resting place for 55 Confederate soldiers of which only five are known. This cemetery has burials as early as 1851 but the first recorded burial was on July 02, 1855


(Sept. 2010) Enlarge    Decatur Cemetery  Confederate graves


(Sept. 2010) Enlarge Cemetery marker inscription written by Mr. Robert Parham of Decatur

Decatur Page1  Page2  Page3  Page4  Page5  Page6  Page7  Page8  Page9

Page10  Page11  Page12  Page13  Page14  Page15  Page16  Page17  Page18  Next

Home     Site Index